Home

Early preview release of Alfresco Desktop Sync

You are here

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Early preview release of Alfresco Desktop Sync

An early preview release of Alfresco Desktop Sync is now available. You can find the installers here.

Alfresco Desktop Sync can synchronize files between your desktop and Alfresco Cloud, Alfresco Community, and Alfresco Enterprise.

Syncing with on-premise Alfresco installations has been tested with Alfresco 4, but this release may also work with Alfresco 3.4.

This is early preview software--we want you to try it out and let us know what you think! As it is preview, data loss could occur. It should not be used for production or critical data.

Only Windows and Mac OS X apps are provided right now. The OS X Desktop Sync is not currently a signed application, so to use it on Mountain Lion you must enable unsigned applications to run or start it by using the Open context menu.

Jeff

Chief Community Officer
Alfresco Software
Blog: ecmarchitect.com | Twitter: jeffpotts01
CMIS APIs: Apache Chemistry | CMIS and Apache Chemistry in Action
Alfresco tutorials: Alfresco Developer Series

Re: Early preview release of Alfresco Desktop Sync

Great...! :)

It's a pity some users are leaved out.
I hope to see a jar soon to be able to give a feedback too.
Regards

I know, I understand. Alfresco is fairly heterogeneous when it comes to desktops (although we're Apple heavy) so even internally there are some Linux folks who won't be able to play with the Desktop Sync app yet (at least without a virtual machine).

Although we are predominantly deployed to Linux on the server, as you can imagine most people are running something else on the desktop. We had to start somewhere so we chose the desktop most commonly used by our customers.

If you are looking to sync with Alfresco Cloud and you are not on Mac or Windows you might take a look at Good Sync. It uses a completely different approach (Good Sync is WebDAV based versus Alfresco Desktop Sync which is CMIS based), but I know some people have been happy with Good Sync.

Jeff

Chief Community Officer
Alfresco Software

Hi Jeff,
personally I don't understand the real problem.
Isn't Java portable and platform-independent?
Regards

Have a look at the 'Linux version' topic - there are steps there to gt it to work.
I have it running on Fedora just fine.

Thank you,
I found this topic yesterday.
The sources are not yet available, but should be as they wrote also for a matter of license.
I managed to compile and run the desktop sync available on sourceforge but that's not same
sources as I guess they applied changes.
As soon as they release the source I can provide a jar file if they don't do it before I do.
I understand Alfresco have to care about the majority but in such case, releasing a platform-independent
package wouldn't have caused any pain.
Regards

The steps I mentioned include extracting the jar from the .dmg file

Exactly, but it requires further tweaking because of dependencies.

Very nice!
I just tried Alfresco Desktop Sync, it is great!
A few questions:

1) I am a bit surprised that only starred repositories appear, I guess the reasoning is that repositories that are not starred have a lower probability of containing documents that people want to sync?

2) Does synchronization happen at regular intervals, or just when users press "Sync now"?
I have not seen automatic synchronization happen, but maybe I just did not wait long enough.

3) Is it possible to checkout several folders of the same site?

4) Where are internal files (settings/database) stored?

5) Did you find any trick to not save credentials on the local side? I guess it is impossible to not have them, unfortunately...

6) As laptops are easily stolen, have you thought about optionally including a software like TrueCrypt, and save documents in an encrypted form?
The user would have to re-enter the password at every reboot.

7) Is there a bug tracker? I would like to report a small problem with Japanese characters:

Thanks a lot!
Nicolas Raoul

The Desktop Sync Tool seems a great start point, I'm looking forward for it to reach a non beta state.

Jeff you say is CMIS based but some log messages talk about Webdav connections, so is ti Webdav or CMIS based ?

Will the source code be available for patching ? And is there a bug tracker ?

Yes, someone else pointed out that webdav is being used as well. It is unclear to me how much, if any, of the tool is based on CMIS because I haven't looked at the source code. But my original understanding was that it was at least partially based on CMIS. But, again, I don't have first-hand knowledge of the technical specifics at this point.

Yes, the source code should be available, just like all of our source code. I have sent an inquiry into Engineering to see if there's an ETA on that.

Yes, there is a bug tracker. http://issues.alfresco.com. Use the "Alfresco" project and the "Desktop Sync" component.

Jeff

Chief Community Officer
Alfresco Software

Hi Jeff,

My first impression is definitely great!
Very interesting for employees to sync specific folders like product data, customer data etc.
When will the production version be released?

Although I agree with the comments mentioned by: Nicolas Raoul
3) Is it possible to checkout several folders of the same site?
6) As laptops are easily stolen, have you thought about optionally including a software like TrueCrypt, and save documents in an encrypted form?
The user would have to re-enter the password at every reboot.

Besides that, I was able to delete a local folder which was created by an admin user. The folder was not deleted from Alfresco and did show up after syncing again.
However in my opinion this is pretty scary!

Kind regards,

Marcel Kieboom

Hi Marcel,

I believe that not much can be done to enforce Alfresco permissions on the local filesystem.
Alfresco Desktop Sync could set these files/folders to read-only mode, but that would not prevent a playful user from changing them.

Cheers!
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply.
Ok thats pity, than I just need to educate my colleagues about using this tool when its released.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Also since I haven't seen it mentioned yet (and there is still not linux distrib yet). Why not install Wine on your linux distro then install the Windows version, works (not that it's the best answer, it IS an option).

An interesting development. Thanks for making a preview available.

Is there any expectation that we will be able to sync with the Repository content folders at some point? i.e. Not only folders in Share Site Document Libraries, as currently?

Or is Alfresco's expectation that we must move our entire repository structure into a Share Site Document Library before this tool can work for us and our current content structure?

Ray Saunders
World Scout Bureau

Alfresco Community Edition 4.0.d running on the cloud

Preview release of Alfresco Desktop Sync

Hello,

Is there any schedule/timeline for an official release of Desktop Sync? What is in link is version Desktop Sync Client 0.8.6 and I see there is a 0.9.6 version in SourceForge but I have not seen anything indicating there is a non-preview release.

Thanks,

Mike