Home

Online edit for MS Office docs

You are here

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Online edit for MS Office docs

Hi,

I can't edit online any office files. When I click on "Edit Online", IE wants me to SAVE the file.
Unless I'm wrong, Online Editing allows to open a office file DIRECTLY from IE without saving anything locally, then you can DIRECTLY save modifications onto Alfresco share.
Here is a screenshot :

Nevertheless, vti-module was already installed, I copied the files custom-vti.properties.sample custom-vti-context.xml.sample into /opt/Alfresco/tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco/extension/, I renamed them without ".sample" then I configured custom-vti.properties.
Restarted Alfresco.

Anyone has a idea please ?? there's no help anywhere :cry:

edit : running on Debian, MySQL, Alfresco Labs3

Re: Online edit for MS Office docs

Please see http://forums.alfresco.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18880 for possible Microsoft fixes.

Thanks,
Mike

Configuration

I've reinstalled the Alfresco Community 3.2 on a clean Debian Lenny system + mySQL database
+ the last swftools version : 2009-04-13
+ imagemagick [7:6.3.7.9.dfsg2-1~lenny1]
+ openoffice [3.0.1-15]

-> vti-module installed.
-> In web-client-config.xml, change done from html value to webdav value.
-> In alfresco-global.properties, added those values :

vti.server.port=7070
vti.alfresco.deployment.context=/alfresco
vti.alfresco.alfresoHostWithPort=http://your-host:8080
vti.share.shareHostWithPort=http://your-share-host:8080

First Problem
I can't see preview of documents like this :

Second problem
The online editing still doesn't work. On Internet Explorer, when I'm clicking on "EDIT ONLINE", I can open the file like this :

The problem is NOT that the document is opened in read-only mode, the problem IS that the document is "downloaded" locally and then, I cannot save the file DIRECTLY on Alfresco share, because Word tries to save the file locally (it must be a tmp folder), here is a screenshot :

First problem - check the transformations are working ok by looking at the log files.

Second problem - did you follow both Microsoft KB articles in the linked topic?

Thanks,
Mike

1- There is no transformation problem in the alfresco.log
I tested to go the the Share on 3 other computers in my company :

Computer1(Windows XP) : No preview picture with Firefox 3.5 + No preview picture with IE8
Computer2 (Windows XP): preview picture works with Firefox 3.5.1 + preview picture works with IE7
Computer3 (Ubuntu): No preview picture with Firefox 3.0 + preview picture works with IE7 (with wine XP)

Therefore : Oh my god what can I do with those behaviors :shock:

2- I followed only the first MS KB.
Now that I followed the second MS KB (Method 2 : edit the windows registry), when I click on "EDIT ONLINE", this IE window is opened :

It would be really useful if you started new topics for completely separate issues, but anyway...

Problem 1 - If one workstation has the thumbnails then the server is fine. Try refreshing the page to load the images.

Problem 2 - That screenshot isn't very useful. What's the actual error?
Obvious things to try: Is the hostname correct? Is that server actually listening on port 7070? Is there a firewall preventing clients connecting to that port?

Thanks,
Mike

Problem 1 - Resolved
> Back from my week end, my computer has been shuted down friday, and my Xen server (my Alfresco server is on a virtual machine) has crashed this week end, therefore, restarting the whole mess resolved the picture preview problem :mrgreen:

Problem 2
1) Hostname is OK.
2) Listening on 7070, in MS Word, if I do "open" then, in the name of file, I type "http://alfresco2:7070/alfresco", that works, I can go through my site and open any doc files.
3) About Firewall, the previous "test" proves that's ok.

One of my colleague has Windows Vista + MS Word 2007, I had to apply the first MS KB (Read only problem), and it works for him, he can do a REAL online edition (even if the version doesn't update). It seems the problem comes from client computers and not server configuration.
Our team have Windows XP, Vista and Ubuntu. Many of us use Firefox. A "Ubuntu+Openoffice" user CANNOT use edit online, but he cannot either type "http://alfresco:7070/alfresco" in OpenOffice, that doesn't work. How can he do ?
Therefore, here is my only question : what is the best method to use in that configuration (using Firefox mostly) ?

You can't with Firefox - it's just not possible. Firefox doesn't support launching Office (or any other application) with the WebDAV path intact; it will always download the file first and then launch the application using the local file.

Thanks,
Mike

Ok, ok, thanks :)

(still looking for a solution for my team)
Therefore, to resume, I can use the Sharepoint integration ONLY IF all users use Windows + IE. That's it ?
And, there is another solution with the MS-Office add-ins and OpenOffice add-ins, right ?
And there is NO other solution right ?

That's correct - you can only use the Microsoft Sharepoint protocol with Microsoft Office running on Microsoft Windows using Microsoft Internet Explorer. Notice a pattern? :wink:

The MS-Office add-ins use Internet Explorer as the rendering engine, although there's no point using the add-ins as Office has Sharepoint support built-in.

Unless somebody knows otherwise, OpenOffice doesn't support Sharepoint at all, so that's a dead-end path.

Thanks,
Mike

For openoffice, I found a plugin (I didn't test it yet) : http://forge.alfresco.com/projects/ooo-plugin/
Is this what I need ?

That's the OpenOffice equivalent of the MS Office add-ins. It'll help, but...

MikeH wrote:
OpenOffice doesn't support Sharepoint at all, so that's a dead-end path.

Thanks,
Mike